AFP Forensics Operations
Forensic science is the application of any scientific discipline in support of the Court process. AFP Forensic Operations (FO) provides a range of forensic services in support of the AFP's national and ACT Policing outcomes. These services include:
- Crime Scenes
- Firearms and Ballistics (including armoury services)
- Biological Criminalistics
- Chemical Criminalistics
- Document Examination
- Computer Forensics
- Forensic Imaging
- Biological and Chemical Agent Scientific Support
In addition, FO provides assistance where required to other Commonwealth agencies and State/Territory law enforcement bodies. FO seeks to serve Police and the justice system by providing services which are fault free, timely, impartial, and customer focused.
Scientific Officer positions within FO generally require, as a minimum, a relevant scientific qualification such as a Bachelor of Science (or equivalent).
The Data Centres provide high level technical information to the AFP operational and Intelligence areas and partner Australian Government agencies. The AFP Data Centres include:
- The Australian Bomb Data Centre (ABDC)
- The Australian Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Data Centre (CBRNDC)
- Australian Illicit Drug Data Centre (AIDDC)
Positions within these Data Centres require relevant scientific, technical and analytical skills appropriate to the environment and, in the case of the CBRNDC, qualifications in specific target science fields.