Media Release: Third man charged for $237 million drug importation
Release Date: Monday, November 26 2012, 02:50 PM
The Australian Federal Police (AFP) has laid charges against a third man as part of its ongoing investigation into the importation of 350 kilograms of cocaine and methamphetamine, with a combined street value of $237 million.
A 34-year-old Canadian national from Randwick appeared in Parramatta Local Court on Saturday (24 November) and was refused bail.
It is alleged the man played a key role in facilitating the importation of the cocaine and methamphetamine concealed in heavy machinery.
The man was arrested following a search warrant at his Randwick residence on Friday 23 November.
This is the latest arrest in an ongoing investigation where the AFP last week charged a 33-year-old US national and 24-year-old Canadian national in relation to the importation.
Manager Serious and Organised Crime Commander David Sharpe said despite these arrests, investigations are continuing.
“This latest arrest sends a clear message to criminal syndicates targeting Australia,” said Commander Sharpe.
“The AFP will work hard to continue to identify and dismantle all members of the group through both domestic and international enquiries with our partner agencies.”
The man has been charged with two counts of aiding and abetting the importation of a commercial quantity of a border controlled drug, namely methamphetamine and cocaine, contrary to section 307.1, by virtue of subsection 11.2 of the Criminal Code 1995.
The maximum penalty for this offence is an $825,000 fine and/or life imprisonment.
More information on the operation: http://www.afp.gov.au/media-centre/news/afp/2012/november/$237-million-worth-of-drugs-found-in-heavy-machinery-two-foreign-nationals-arrested.aspx
AFP National Media (02) 6131 6333