Media Release: Further AFP arrests in child sexual exploitation cases

Release Date: Thursday, March 28 2013, 02:30 PM

The AFP has re-arrested a 36-year-old Canberra man after he allegedly breached bail conditions prohibiting the man from using the internet as a result of previous child exploitation offences.

The man will again face the Canberra Magistrates Court today (28 March).

AFP National Coordinator Child Protection Operations Detective Superintendent Todd Hunter said the AFP takes bail conditions seriously and will take strong action, as demonstrated by this arrest, to monitor and ensure those charged comply with their set bail conditions.

“The AFP will continue to work relentlessly to prevent further offending associated with the production, access and distribution of child exploitation material,” Superintendent Hunter said.

“Those who contemplate continuing this abhorrent behaviour, or fail to comply with Court imposed bail requirements will be pursued.”

This arrest comes after the resolution of Operation Conqueror, an AFP investigation which began in January this year, targeting individuals using peer-to-peer file sharing networks to access and share images depicting children of various ages being sexually abused.

Three more arrests have been made in relation to Operation Conqueror, bringing the total number of arrests to 25. A total of 40 search warrants have been executed to date.

A 51-year-old Stafford man, a 45-year-old Mt Kuringai man and a 34-year-old Curtin man were arrested last week, in relation to allegedly possessing and accessing child exploitation material. All three have appeared before court in relation to these offences.

As a result of Operation Conqueror, it is estimated that millions of child exploitation images and videos will have been seized following further digital computer forensic analysis.

The AFP is committed to combating the exploitation of children and takes the crimes of producing, accessing, possessing and distributing child abuse material very seriously.

Further information on Internet safety can be found at http://www.thinkuknow.org.au.

For more information on Operation Conqueror, visit the AFP website: http://www.afp.gov.au/media-centre/news/afp/2013/march/afp-shuts-down-online-child-abuse-network-21-arrested.aspx

Further arrests are anticipated as this operation continues.

CHILD EXPLOITATION IMAGES, NOT ‘CHILD PORNOGRAPHY’

Use of the phrase ‘child pornography’ actually benefits child sex abusers:

  • It indicates legitimacy and compliance on the part of the victim and therefore legality on the part of the abuser;
  • It conjures up images of children posing in ‘provocative’ positions, rather than suffering horrific abuse.

Every photograph captures an actual situation where a child has been abused. This is not pornography.

 

Media enquiries:
AFP National Media (02) 6131 6333