One of the AFP's key areas of emphasis is to contribute to Australia's international law enforcement interests through cooperation with key international partners to:
- Combat transnational organised crime and corruption;
- Respond to emergencies;
- Participate in mandated peace operations;
- Provide law and order capacity building missions to enhance rule of law internationally and contribute to regional stability;
- Contribute to Australia's border management and security; and
- Deliver policing services to identified External Territories and coordinate the Pacific Transnational Crime Network.