We offer protective services to Australian places and people, as well as to the diplomatic community.
- highly visible uniformed security at places like Parliament House in Canberra and Defence sites
- close personal protection to Australian and foreign dignitaries
- witness protection
- security and advice for major government, diplomatic and public events.
This work is supported by intelligence, risk assessments and prioritisation.
We deliver protective services in collaboration with:
- state and territory police
- security agencies
- Australian Government departments
- commercial enterprises
- non-government organisations
- community groups.
We have uniformed PSOs based at Australian Government facilities and diplomatic and consular missions in Australia and overseas.
- Defence establishments
- Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
- diplomatic missions
- parliamentary sites
- designated official establishments.
Our PSOs are trained to deter, detect and respond to criminal and national security threats. They also provide armed counter-terrorism first response.
Close personal protection
We provide protective services to Australian and foreign dignitaries, and to internationally protected people, both here and overseas.
- the Governor-General
- the Prime Minister and other ministers
- diplomats and foreign officials.
We are responsible for the National Witness Protection Program under The National Witness Protection Act 1994 (Cth). This means we protect and help witnesses of crime and other at-risk people.
We are heavily involved with events in Australia and overseas. We provide advice and security for major political events such as the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting.
We also provide security services and work with foreign governments and law enforcement to help secure special events of interest around the world, such as the Olympic and Paralympic games.
We work with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and the Attorney-General's Department to ensure the safety of Australians attending these events.