Work experience at the AFP
Our work experience programs help high-school students understand what's involved in a career with us. Students learn from AFP specialists in the field that interests them.
AFP Forensics Work Experience Program
Our Forensics Work Experience Program gives high-school students in Years 10 to 12 a taste of a career in forensic science. Participants learn:
- the various roles available in forensic science
- the career paths some of our specialists have followed.
Note: applications have now closed for 2023 program placements. We'll advertise the 2024 program early next year.
We run the one-week AFP Forensics Work Experience Program twice each year at our AFP Forensics facility in Majura, Canberra.
We offer AFP Forensics Work Experience Program placements to a small number of senior high-school students each intake who can:
- demonstrate a strong interest in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), particularly forensic science
- show they plan to pursue a career in these subjects
- write a strong application
- follow the application process guidelines
- pay their own travel and accommodation costs if they're successful.
If you want to apply for a placement in future years, you must submit your application before the deadline.
If we accept you for an AFP Forensics Work Experience Program placement, you'll learn about the roles and personal experiences of specialists in:
- chemical criminalistics
- crime scene investigation
- digital forensics
- document sciences
- facial identification
- firearms identification and armoury.
You'll also take part in simulations of:
- scene- and lab-based forensic examinations
- a courtroom trial, where you'll experience giving expert witness testimony.
Applications for the 2023 program have now closed.
To apply for the program, you'll need to provide:
- your contact information
- your educational details
- a 150-word statement on why you want to take part in the program, showing your interest in STEM.
We'll tell you the deadline by which you'll need to apply. We won't consider any applications we receive after this.
We'll notify you by email if your application has been successful or not.
To learn more, contact the Forensics work experience team on Forensics-WEX@afp.gov.au.
A Day in the Life of an AFP Forensic Scientist – one-day seminar
We are also running a one-day virtual seminar called A Day in the Life of an AFP Forensic Scientist on Wednesday, 15 November 2023.
Applications have now closed for the seminar.
We'll advertise future seminars alongside the 2024 program early next year.
AFP Forensics Work Experience Program participant stories
"I keep on thinking about the week we spent with you, honestly the best week of my life!" – Lochana, ACT
"It was such a unique and insightful experience, and I learnt so much during the week. This experience has no doubt fuelled my passion for forensics." – Jasmine, NSW
"Thank you again for making the work experience program unforgettable." – Rhys, ACT
"Going on a specific course, full of like-minded individuals, put me in my element and allowed me to unapologetically express my enthusiasm for STEM and learning as a whole. This course was an eye-opening look at how forensic science is utilised in the real world and has made me even more certain that I want to join the AFP in the near future." – Kristen, Qld
Get in touch
For more information on the AFP Forensics Work Experience Program, email us at Forensics-WEX@afp.gov.au.