Take the next step in your policing career. Enjoy rewarding, challenging work in one of the most adaptive, effective and advanced police forces in the world.
A career with us can take you around Australia and the world, doing work that's critical to keep all Australians safe. It's an agency like no other.
Current and recent operational police officers working with Australian state or territory forces can apply for our Lateral Program. If you want to keep your state or territory detective designation, you'll need to meet the AFP guidelines for detectives. Apply to the National Designation and Rank Endorsement Panel via AFP Learning and Development, outlining your claims.
As an AFP officer, you'll help protect Australia and Australians from serious threats, such as:
- child exploitation
- serious and organised crime
As a police officer with us, you'll play critical role in ensuring we stay ahead of global criminal networks. You'll:
- work on long and complex investigations, often with international partners
- use information and evidence to determine the appropriate law-enforcement response
- interview suspects and witnesses
- collect, prepare and present evidence
- work with prosecution agencies, attend court and give evidence
- have the chance to work with multidisciplinary teams across various roles.
You'll be based in our Canberra headquarters or one of our offices around Australia. You may also have a chance to work in one of the 33 countries where we operate.
Meet our people through their stories.