Community liaison teams
Our community liaison teams make the Australian community stronger. We actively engage with diverse communities to build trust and enhance our ability to protect the community.
Teams are based in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. They help Australians by:
- tackling social problems such as crime, unemployment and antisocial or extremist behaviour
- addressing misunderstandings
- helping people have conversations about issues of concern
- providing advice and education to help communities respond to issues
- helping vulnerable and at-risk groups
- discussing situations as they emerge
- acting as a link between the community and law enforcement.
Community liaison teams are guided in their work by our National Community Liaison Teams Engagement Framework. The general principles are to:
- support the strategic and operational objectives of the AFP
- identify vulnerabilities in the community
- help people access support
- add to cross-agency collaboration, strengthening public safety partnerships.
Examples of our work include:
- engaging with spiritual and community leaders at forums
- liaising with community groups and attending community events
- providing information for presentations on various online child safety programs like ThinkUKnow
- running youth leadership programs like the 'Connection to Country' Program
- advising the public on the AFP’s law enforcement role
- travelling to regional and remote communities
- advising our officers working in culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- representing the AFP at events, celebrations, commemorations and recruitment activities.
If you are passionate about helping and supporting your community, you could join us as a community liaison officer. We have both sworn (police officer) and unsworn community liaison officer positions.
You can find current positions available on our Jobs portal.
Get in touch
For more information about our community liaison teams in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACT Policing has more information about Community Engagement Teams in Canberra.